This resource has been developed to integrate the subject areas of science, balanced literacy, math, drama and art. This mini-unit targets several standards/outcomes from each curriculum as well as reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing and representing.
Included in this mini-unit:
- An original, full-color shared reading selection called "How Are Trees Used?" In this story students will learn that trees are used in many different ways by people and animals. Readers will be engaged as they connect the story to their own prior knowledge and search for long "e" words.
- A cut-and-paste comprehension/matching activity where students will match the tree from the story to its appropriate use.
- Materials for a Long e/ea Word Sort center. Students will place the words into the appropriate pocket chart (ee or ea). Students will then record the words on the accompanying recording sheet.
- Materials and parent letter for a "tree center." Students will bring materials from home that are made from trees. As a whole class activity students will focus on one item and brainstorm its attributes.
- An original, full-color read-aloud story titled "The Parts of a Tree." Students will learn the various tree parts and connect new learning to prior knowledge by answering questions throughout the story.
- An 'Oak versus Spruce' compare and contrast activity.
- A 'Leaf Sort' activity where students will sort leaves based on a variety of attributes.
- A dramatic role play activity where students will role play the various parts of a tree and complete a reflection.
- An art activity where students will use watercolors to paint a tree. Understanding of 'The Parts of a Tree' will be assessed through student interviews.
- A 'changing seasons' activity where students will discuss how trees change and complete a 'Looks, Feels, Sounds' graphic organizer as a whole class activity.
What Teachers Are Saying
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "Absolutely love this unit! It really helps me to teach my little ones about the different concepts of trees and their parts!" Linda H.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "Love this. I like that rather than a ton of worksheets, it's hands-on, interactive and whole-group learning! Can't wait to use this!" Kinder in Room 2
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "I love that this unit speaks to so many learning styles. Thank you for being so thorough. :)" LMNO Pond
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "I used most of your unit to teach about Trees. We do FOSS in our school and have a tree unit. Your unit helped to greatly enhance the unit." Stonewall Kindergarten