Implement more mental math strategies into your classroom or work more strategically to target your students' needs with The Subtraction Station! Students are engaged and motivated by choice, power, and fun.
With The Subtraction Station, students work through a series of subtraction activities for each level. They complete the activities, self-check using the prepared answer keys, and keep track of their progress using their personal tracker. At the end of each level, the student asks the teacher for a quick, informal, one-minute oral quiz. If he knows his facts/strategies, he moves to the next level. If not, he simply practices a bit more until he feels ready. There are no negative consequences.
You are going to be noticing some pretty big changes within your math instruction once you start using this resource:
- Your teaching will become more effective, as you teach in a practical order where the easiest facts and strategies are learned first.
- Your teaching will become strategic. Finally! An organized, effective way to focus on mental math strategies. The work is done for you.
- The amount of marking that you have to do will decrease, as students are responsible for their own assessment. (Of course, you’ll be doing observational assessment throughout, but you will be doing NO marking.)
- Once you prepare the Subtraction Station, it can be used for at least a couple of months – that’s one less center that you need to worry about!
- Your students will become reflective as they develop metacognition.
- Your students will become motivated mathematicians. Finally, they can all work to a level that is appropriate for themselves.
- Your students will experience success on a regular basis, as a result of working to a level that is appropriate.
- Your math class will become student-centered. Your students are truly in control of their own learning.
This resource includes:
- strategic, progressive, subtraction activities for each set of facts; each strategy is first isolated and then integrated with previous strategies to result in maximum understanding and mastery
- easy-to-understand instruction for each subtraction strategy
- answer keys
- an accompanying video to help you prepare and understand your Subtraction Station (I want to support you the best I can!)
- clear set-up instructions
- parent resources and home practice charts
- classroom posters
- student and teacher assessment trackers
- Subtraction Passports
Teacher support is very important to me and I do everything possible to guide you through the process of creating your own Subtraction Station. Within the document, you will find checklists, set-up guides, as well as a support video to guide you through the set-up process.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "Subtraction can be so difficult for grade 3 students. This is a great way to help improve their understanding of this confusing topic." Lisa W.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "My Class really likes how they are able to work at it on their own and others don't know what level they are on." Tyler M.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "This is a wonderful station to help teach/reinforce subtraction strategies! The students being able to work at their own pace and stick with strategies until they have mastered them is extremely helpful when you're moving ahead with curriculum. So helpful!" Drew H.