Ready to infuse real-life experience and project based learning (PBL) into your Math class? Math projects are a great way to do just that!
Math projects are an ideal way to consolidate learning. I recommend using them as an engaging activity AFTER skills have been learned rather than during learning. You will likely find that engagement is very high and that your students ask to do more of these!
Curriculum content is best suited to Grades 3-4, but also will be a great way to provide differentiation/enrichment/modifications for other grade levels. Learning how to problem-solve in real life scenarios is one of the biggest goals of these Math Projects!
Ideas for Use
There are many ways to use math projects in your classroom. Some of the most popular are:
•a small-group or pairs activity
•a guided math activity to allow you to see where your students are struggling
•a fun, rewarding way to engage your early finishers
•a low-prep, easy-to-implement activity for a substitute teacher
The ten math projects and math escape room activities that are included are:
This is a growing bundle of Math Projects and Escape Rooms.
- Design a Playground (multiplication)
- Airport Adventures (time, elapsed time, graphing, addition, money and more)
- Run an Ice Cream Shop (beginning fractions)
- Egyptian Treasure Escape Room (addition and subtraction within 1,000)
- Run a Fast Food Restaurant (place value to thousands)
- Storm Chasers (addition and subtraction within 1,000 and 10,000)
- Run a Grocery Store (various measurement concepts)
- Lost in the Amazon (number sense escape room)
- Run a Babysitting Business (time, money, addition, subtraction, graphing)
- Plan a Fundraising Campaign (number sense with an emphasis on estimation, reasoning, and flexible thinking)
What Teachers Are Saying
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "I love everything that Shelley Gray creates. The detail that she puts into all of her work is great. There is something for everyone in class. I love the tasks that are easily outlined for students to work on. When we do not finish a task in class then I assign the students to finish for homework and the students are excited because they know what they are doing and working on. They are set up for success with everything that Shelley creates. Seriously one of the best creators on Teachers Pay Teachers. I love her resources. I also was very happy that this was a bundle." Brienna P.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "This is a great resource for my gifted learners. I give them these projects to apply their knowledge when they are quick to master content. I love that there is a lot of real-world application and it allows them to be creative. They seem to be engaged in these and it helps solidify their understanding on a deeper level." Courtney W.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "When we do these, mu students hardly think they are doing math. I like the way these lessons take real world scenarios and make the math fit in to the circumstance. I dont hear "I'll never use this" during these lessons because they see how they are actually applying the math to real problems. Plus, they are FUN!" Amanda M.