The first step to teaching multi-digit multiplication is to teach methods for conceptual understanding. This is crucial. This includes partial products and/or the box/window method (area model).
Halving and doubling is also a strategy that can be useful for multi-digit multiplication! With this strategy, you double one factor and half the other to make an equation that is easier to solve. These task cards have been designed so that your students will receive practice with halving and doubling in many different ways.
This resource is a fantastic supplement to those teachers currently using the Multi-Digit Multiplication Station in their classrooms.
This resource includes:
- links to explanations of halving and doubling and other multi-digit multiplication strategies
- a halving and doubling poster
- 24 task cards that will allow students to practice halving and doubling through problem-solving, reasoning, and more
- recording sheets to keep students organized
- answer key to make self-checking a breeze
What Teachers Are Saying
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "I really like all of Shelley's resources. They are straightforward and understandable and I'm always learning from her. Thank you!" Jaslina A.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "This is such a valuable strategy (Halve and Double) so I was glad to find a resource for the students to practice with." Susan P.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "Great resource! My students really enjoyed working on these!" Christy J.