Counting on is one of the first strategies that most students use for addition. When we count on, we begin with the largest number and count up by ones. For example, to solve 5+3, start with 5 and count up: “6, 7, 8.”
This resource includes a variety of materials for teaching the counting-on strategy and is separated into three sections to make differentiation seamless: 0-10, 0-20, and 0-100.
My Math Fact Philosophy
My resources are created with this philosophy in mind:
•Math should be taught using the Concrete-Representational-Abstract model.
•UNDERSTANDING math facts is more important than memorizing math facts. Conceptual understanding is the key to math fact fluency.
•Students must be able to visualize the math in order to really understand it.
•True math fact fluency is more than just speed and accuracy. It also includes flexibility, which is essential to true fluency.
•One of the best ways to build flexibility is by making connections and forming relationships between facts.
This unit includes:
- Counting On Strategy Reference Poster
- Thinking About Math strategy reflection
- Classroom Math Talk: Use these prompts for Number Talks or to get a conversation started about strategies and flexible thinking.
- Activity Sheets: These are provided at three different levels to make differentiation easy: 0-10, 0-20, and 0-100. The activities make counting on conceptual using ten frames, number lines, and dot patterns.
- Small Group or Station Activities: Use these task card activities for guided math groups, small groups, or even individual learning.
- Mini Flashcards with Suggested Activities: These are provided at three different levels to make differentiation easy: 0-10, 0-20, and 0-100.
What Teachers Are Saying
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "We've used this as seat work in my classroom which makes it easy to differentiate among my different leveled learners. I love that this resource has different challenge levels for my students!" Hannah B.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "This was perfect for my 1st grade EL students! It helped solidify with me where they were at independently working level and gave me the opportunity to work with them one-on-one." Megan C.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "Perfect supplement to our math curriculum. Just what I was looking for to give my student some extra practise and support with this math strategy." Carly I.