Do you want to add some Earth Day fun to your April number talk routine? This special Earth Day version of my popular Math Conversations number talks resource will surely engage your students! Number talks are a powerful way for your students to build number sense and fact fluency.
This is a completely DONE-FOR-YOU resource with NO prep involved. Simply choose a number talk slide, project it, and discuss - then get ready to see your math conversations transform!
Your students will be working with different types of problems, and will be presented with powerful visuals and models that they will work with in strategic ways. This will build critical thinking skills and flexibility.
During this number talk routine, students will share and reflect on each others’ strategies. They will learn that math is not all about right answers - it is about thinking flexibly and strategically! As you continue this routine, your students’ math confidence with soar and they will learn to look at problems differently than they have in the past.
This math talk resource was created with the following philosophies in mind:
- Math is about more than a correct answer. It is about flexible and strategic thinking and the ability to reason.
- Focusing on different ways of thinking should be a priority.
- Students benefit from discussing their own strategies and considering the strategies of others.
- There is no one right way to solve a problem.
See other year-long no-prep number talk resources here:
- Fourth Grade Math Conversations (slides for the whole year)
- Dot Talks for 3rd-4th Grade (daily subitizing routine)
This resource includes twenty daily math conversation prompts for your number talk routine. Use one per day throughout April as a math warm-up to encourage flexible and strategic thinking. These are delivered to you in Google Slides™ format, but can be saved as a PowerPoint and presented that way.
What Teachers Are Saying