Bring fractions to life while reinforcing essential concepts using this high-interest, skill-packed fraction project! "Run a Pizza Place" will help your students understand what fractions really mean and how they are used in the real world in a way that engages while teaching skills such as fractions on a number line, identifying and comparing fractions, and visual models.
Ideas for Use
Print all the activities and make booklets for your students, or use the individual worksheets in centers. Some teachers have even put individual worksheets in pizza boxes at different stations to create a memorable experience for their students!
This fun math project can be used in many different ways, including:
- as a basis for a classroom transformation - just add pizza!
- to incorporate into a larger PBL (project-based learning) activity
- as early finisher activities
- as small-group activities or in an intervention setting to see where your students are struggling
- as a low-prep, easy-to-implement activity for a substitute teacher
- to gather assessment data after completing a fraction unit
This resource is included in PDF format for printing and in Google Slides™️ format for digital learning.
This is not your average set of fraction activities!
Your students will be able to imagine how exciting it would be like to own their own pizza restaurant, all while practicing:
- representing fractions on a visual model
- adding simple fractions
- representing fractions on a number line
- interpreting data related to fractions
- identifying numerators and denominators
- comparing fractions
- fractions in different forms
- simple equivalent fractions
- fractions in word and number form
- problem-solving with fractions
- composing and decomposing fractions
- representing "1" as a fraction
What Teachers Are Saying
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "Very comprehensive review after we finished our fractions unit. This was a fun way for them to wrap up their work with fractions. Tons of activities in this resource." - Gail M.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "WOW! This project covers it all. My students were so frustrated with fractions; this packet allowed me to break different domains down into detail and explanation. We enjoyed doing this as a class over time. It is also fun to see them create their own pizza poster." - Maria
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "I used this resource in my Math small group and my students LOVED it! It kept them engaged and they enjoyed learning about fractions in a real-world way! We even had a pizza party when the packet was finished!" - Miranda
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "This is easily the best thing I have bought all school year! I purchased for my 30-minute enrichment class- students who are on level to high and they are loving each task so far. I plan to get the multiplication version for when we finish this one!" - Jennifer